River Road Garden Club, founded in 1929, is celebrating its 85th year of community work. It was one of two up-river groups whose organization was sponsored by the Toledo Garden Club. In addition to study programs, the River Road Garden Club has always been involved in philanthropic work.
Some of the first activities involved making clothing for children that was distributed through the Toledo District Nurse Association. Members of the group also purchased eyeglasses for needy students.
In 1937, club members undertook the elimination of weeds and the beautification of land adjacent to the major highways approaching Toledo. City officials agreed to cooperate to work toward this objective. Later came the improvements at Walbridge Park and the Toledo Garden Center was established.
During World War II, members were very active working with the Red Cross, sewing, rolling bandages, and in 1955, club members received the Dora A. Gill award for making over 1200 tray favors in one year for patients at the William Roche Memorial Hospital.
Participating in flower shows, visiting the gardens of other groups, offering book series and planning outdoor picnics for nature study were among the activities of early members. A local flower show was one of the main annual events and the club also donated trees to Wolcott House.
The River Road Garden Club is still very active in many communities around Toledo as participating members of the Toledo Garden Forum, the Garden Club of Ohio and the National Garden Clubs.
Members are currently involved in plantings that attract butterflies, bees, and other endangered species. They also support the Toledo Botanical Garden, Toledo GROWS, garden therapy for the elderly and other horticultural projects and organizations.
The 2014-2015 officers are Sara Moomaw, president, Marjorie Fischer, vice president, Cornelia Wagener, treasurer, and Nancy Cole, secretary. Members meet the second Wednesday of each month, excluding January and August.