In 1975, a group of pool players at Jimmy’s Village Inn started talking about the Loyal Order of Moose. As usually happens, the idea that Sylvania needed to be a part of this philanthropic organization grew. However, it was necessary to gather 100 men to form a Lodge. That did not take long. On Jan. 25, 1976, Sylvania Moose Lodge 1579 was granted its Charter.
Little by little the organization grew from meeting in the back room of the Village Inn to the VFW Post on Holland-Sylvania Road, to the old post office on Maplewood Ave. In 1978, land on North Main St. was purchased and planning began for a new 100-foot by 60-foot building, which was opened in 1980.
As the membership continued to grow, there was a need to expand. In January 1998, a 36- foot by 100-foot addition was constructed.
With this came a new designation, Sylvania Moose Family Center Lodge 1579.
The organization has grown from the original 100-plus charter members to its current membership of more than 1,860 men.
The Women of the Moose Chapter 1788 received its Charter in July 1977 with 48 members and has grown to more than 950 members.
The mission of the Moose Fraternity is to better its communities.
The Sylvania Moose Lodge 1579 makes monetary donations and offers community service hours to the Sylvania Area Family Services Center and other local charities than assist families in need.
The Sylvania Lodge continually ranks in the top 10 in the state and the top 20 in the nation.