At the May 1 Sylvania City Council meeting, Safety & Service Director Kevin Aller’s request to award Scott’s Quality Concrete the contract for $39,415 to replace damaged sidewalks was approved. In addition, Aller’s request to award Jim Palmer Excavating the contract for $293,872.19 for phase one of the Elden Ditch Watershed Improvement was approved. The scope of that project includes constructing an underground water retention system in the southwest area of Memorial Field, which will help alleviate flooding on Elden Drive. Construction is slated to begin Aug. 1 after the Memorial Field sports season is complete.
Council also approved a resolution to support and approve the Lucas County Active Transportation Plan that had been presented at the April 17 meeting.
Road work ahead!
Monroe Street/Silica Drive construction began March 27. Eastbound Monroe Street closed between Silica Drive and Main Street through July; Silica Drive is closed at bridge for 120 days.
• Central Avenue between Reynolds Road and Corey Road closed for bridge construction.
• Brint and Centennial Roads closed beginning April 3 for 45 days for roundabout addition.
• U.S. Route 23, between Interstate 475 and the Michigan State Line, will experience lane restrictions for noise wall installation through summer 2023.
• Brint Road Resurfacing from Silica Drive to the railroad tracks is proposed to take place from June 15 to Aug. 15. Flaggers will maintain one-lane traffic during the resurfacing project.
• McCord Road at Bancroft Street improvements begin May 1 for 2024 roundabout installation
• Monroe Street westbound curb lane from Glasgow to Harroun Rad will be closed from about Memorial Day to Labor Day. Then the eastbound curb lane from Harroun Road to Glasgow will be closed for a month.
• Sylvania Avenue Resurfacing, Whiteford to Talmadge roads, beginning in June with mostly night work, lane restrictions.
• Sylvania Metamora Sidewalk Extension, work will be complete by Sept. 1, north side of road connecting existing cross walk at Mitchaw Road roundabout approximately 500 feet west to existing walk at Walnut Springs.
• Sylvania Township OPWC Road Improvement Project — 3.29 Miles of subdivision roads, work from July to September in Forest Lakes, Twelve Lakes and the Village At Twelve Lakes
• Sylvania Township Resurfacing Project — 1.76 miles, work will be complete by Sept. 1, North and South Arvilla roads, North and South Crestridge roads, Davenport Road, Ginger Hill, and West Minster.