SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW: 6403 Monroe St.

Gayleen Gindy In 1903 Warren W. and Mary Smith Blankley purchased what became Lot 10 of Hubbard’s Addition and in 1909, built the home shown in the 1964 photo. The couple married in 1890, and Mary died before the 1910 census was taken. Warren, 38, was listed living here and employed as a motorman for the Toledo & Western Railway, the passenger train service that … Continue reading SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW: 6403 Monroe St.

Sylvania – Then & Now: 6385 Monroe Street

Until she died in 1936, Flora Hubbard West owned Lot No. 8 of the Hubbard’s Addition subdivision, and the large 1.997-acre parcel that ran behind Lots No. 1 thru 8. In Sylvania’s earliest days this land is where our founding fathers operated our first cider mill. After she died, this land transferred into her husband’s name, Ray West. They originally owned all the land along the south side of Monroe Street that was developed into Hubbard’s Addition. Continue reading Sylvania – Then & Now: 6385 Monroe Street

SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW

GAYLEEN GINDY 6381 MONROE ST. This address is also part of the River Crossing Development featured in previous issues. Heber G. Howard purchased Lot No. 7 of Hubbard’s Addition and built a home in 1923, as shown in the 1964 photo. He lived here for three years, and in 1926, he sold the house to Earl L. and Bertha F. Goodwin, who owned the house … Continue reading SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW

Sylvania Then & Now: 6731 Monroe St.

Continuing the history of Monroe Street development, in 1919 Christian “Fred” Sieler and his wife Christine purchased Lot No. 5 of Hubbard’s Addition and sometime after the 1920 census was taken, which shows them living in Whiteford Township, Michigan, they built a house on this lot. They sold the home in 1924 to Willard and Addie Newcomb. Willard and Addie were already living in Sylvania … Continue reading Sylvania Then & Now: 6731 Monroe St.

Looking Back: 6367 Monroe St.

Gayleen Gindy In 1925 George C. and Mabelle E. Housler purchased Lot 4 of Hubbard’s Addition, now home to Little Ceasar’s Pizza. A May 1927 building permit was granted to Housler to build a new 1-1/2 story dwelling on this lot. The builder was the Charles F. Brunt Company of Toledo, and the estimated cost was $3,000. In the 1930 census the home was listed … Continue reading Looking Back: 6367 Monroe St.

Then & Now: 6361 Monroe St.

Gayleen Gindy This is my 250th history article written for the Sylvania AdVantage, which fits in perfectly with the America 250th celebration this year. There are many activities scheduled in our community throughout the year to celebrate this very important birthday, and we need everyone to be involved. Lot 3 of the subdivision known as “Hubbard’s Addition to Sylvania,” now home to Little Ceasar’s Pizza, … Continue reading Then & Now: 6361 Monroe St.

SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW: 6351-6357 Monroe St.

GAYLEEN GINDY Moving west on Monroe Street, past Fricker’s, the next two parcels are Lot No. 1 and 2 of a subdivision called “Hubbard’s Addition to Sylvania” which was created in the early 1900s. In 1890 Hiram Hubbard, a very early settler to Sylvania, purchased a large parcel of land from Peleg T. Clarke, which ran along the south side of Monroe Street and extended … Continue reading SYLVANIA­ THEN & NOW: 6351-6357 Monroe St.

Sylvania – Then & Now

BY GAYLEEN GINDY 6339 Monroe Street – Fricker’s This property was originally the side yard of Lena Dietrich, whose house was built in 1903, and was  just to the east. After she died in 1947 the property transferred to her brother Joseph Foxhuber who sold to Jesse F. Crandall in 1949. A 1950 aerial photo shows that this property was vacant at this time.  In … Continue reading Sylvania – Then & Now