5848 Summit St.
In 1910 Dana G. Chandler built this house on Lot No. 5 of Briggs Place subdivision. Chandler owned and operated a cement block manufacturing business on the south side of Monroe Street, along the west side of the railroad tracks. His business was called the Sylvania Building Supply Co., and he started it shortly after the Toledo & Western Railway built their new headquarters just east of Chandler’s business, located where Sautter’s is today. Just about every house in Sylvania, built before the 1930s, has a foundation built of Dana Chandler’s cement blocks. Our subject house was built by Chandler entirely of the block that he manufactured. Continue reading 5848 Summit St.
